Sunday, June 28, 2009

June 22-27

So I finally signed up for my first-ever triathlon. I've been a lot of talk and no walk for way too long and I decided that the only way to really get back into shape and start pushing myself how I would like to is to just pay the money, sign up and dedicate myself to the task.

While I looked through the list of triathlons happening throughout the state, which were very impressive by the way because they are happening all the time, I stumbled upon the Moab tri that includes trail running and mountain biking instead of road running and cycling. Immediately I knew I needed to do this one.

It is part of the Kokopelli Challenge, named the MXT - Moab Xstream Off Road Triathlon. It is a sprint comprised of:
  • 800 Meter swim - Colorado River
  • 10 Mile ride - Amasa Back trail
  • 6 Mile run - Jackson Trail
This is a view of the course from the top of the bike ride.

I am uber-excited to finally be doing this and now I've just got to start training to make sure that I can complete this sucker. The elevation gain on the bike is approximately 1,000 ft.! From river to the top of the mesa.

Leslie spent most of the week (Tue - Fri) up at Young Women's Camp near Smith and Morehouse. She loved it and had a great experience... minus some minor details that I'll let her expound on in her own due time, haha.

Aubrey and I spent great time together swimming and at the park. The poor thing had to ride in my truck all week (top's off). Every where we went her hair ended up looking like a rag doll :). She is the greatest thing that ever happened to us! Such a doll!

We took a hike on Saturday up to the Albion Basin at Alta Ski Resort and completely enjoyed ourselves up there. Aubrey spent most of the time in her backpack, but once we got to the top her and I ran all over the place and in the snow. She just explores everything with such fascination. She kept bending over and grabbing handfulls of snow to eat.














Today was Michael's (lil' bro) farewell. He did such a great job and sounds so mature. I couldn't believe that I was watching my little bro standing at the podium in such boldness and calm. He will do an awesome work in Salta, Argentina for the next couple of years. He is scheduled to attend the MTC on July 22, but I'll be in Chicago for work and will miss him.

We ended the day by walking around the SLC Cemetery and checking out the various graves of LDS authorities. We then drove by Nana (Lila's) old place and it brought a flood of memories to me of the great time's spent at her house on the North-West corner of 9th and M Street on the Avenues. She lived across the street of Libby Garden Park.

No comments: